A guide to local businesses
Updated: 18 Jan 2021
Here is a summary of the current opening times of local places of interest and businesses.
Visitor Information & Community Shop
Buth Bharraigh is OPEN: Mon - Fri: 10:00am - 4:00pm,
Sat: 10:00am - 1:00pm,
Taxis and Car Hire
• Asty’s Barra Cabs is OPEN
• Barra Car Hire is OPEN
• Barra Taxi is OPEN and Island Tours available
• Brevig Taxi is CLOSED
• Campbell's Taxi is OPEN Evenings from 6:00pm
• Dan’s Taxis is CLOSED and Island Tours available
Ardmhor Coffee at the wee ferry
• Barra Bike Hire is OPEN
• Barra Golf Club is OPEN to members and visitors
(Golf clubs are available for hire at Bùth Bharraigh for £5 per day)
• Barra Heritage Centre is CLOSED, reopens 2021.
Questions/requests can be emailed to
or contact Bùth Bharraigh
• Barra Island Tours is CLOSED, reopens in 2021 when safe
• Castlebay Library is CLOSED
• Clearwater Paddling is CLOSED, reopens 2021.
• Hebridean Sea Tours is CLOSED, reopens 2021.
• Isle of Barra Distillers is CLOSED
• Isle of Barra Surf and Coastal Adventure is CLOSED, reopens
• Kisimul Castle is CLOSED, reopens 2021.
• Mingulay Boat Trips is CLOSED, re-opens 2021
• Swimming Pool and Gym is CLOSED.
Sessions can be booked on CnES sports and leisure app.
Barra Bike Hire
Bars, Restaurants and Cafes
• Ardmhor Café is CLOSED
• Barra Airport Café is OPEN for departing passengers to sit in
and for take-aways for other customers, serving teas, coffees,
light snacks and lunches.
• Café Kisimul is CLOSED, reopens 2021.
• Castlebay Hotel is CLOSED, reopens 1March 2021
• Castlebay Bar is CLOSED
• Craigard Hotel is OPEN for key workers.
• Craigard Bar CLOSED
• Craigard Hotel Restaurant CLOSED
• Garadh a Bagh a Tuath Thursday Cafe is CLOSED, reopens 2021.
• Heathbank Hotel is CLOSED
• Heathbank Hotel Bar is CLOSED
• Hebridean Toffee and The Deck is CLOSED
• Isle of Barra Beach Hotel is CLOSED, re-opens 2021.
• Joan’s Barra Pizza is CLOSED
• Macroon’s Tea Room is CLOSED
• Mairi’s Chippy is CLOSED, reopens from time to time, see FB.
• Vatersay Hall Café is CLOSED, reopens 2021.
Freshly made pizza from Joan's Barra Pizza
Caravan and Campsites
(Community would prefer campsites are used rather than wild camping. Please book (except Vatersay)
• Barra Sands Campsite CLOSED, Opens 2021
• Borve Campsite is OPEN for campervans and tents
• Croft No 2 Campsite is CLOSED.
Winter bookings may be considered by prior arrangement with
site owners. Camping and Caravanning Club members only
(can join on site, ID needed)
• Croft 183 Barra Holidays is CLOSED
• Scurrival Campsite is CLOSED
• Vatersay Community Campsite is OPEN:
please leave donation in honesty box.
Toilets OPEN, Showers CLOSED.
• Wavecrest Campsite is OPEN.
Shops and Services
• A & C MacLean’s (Butcher’s) is OPEN
Monday to Saturday 9:30am to 12:30pm, 2.30pm to 5:00pm
• Barratlantic Fish Shop is OPEN
Monday to Friday 9:00am to 4:30pm
• Beauty Republic is OPEN, appointments only
• Caledonian MacBrayne Castlebay Office is OPEN
Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri 7:00am to 5:00pm
Thurs 9:00am to 4:00pm
Sat 9:00am to 3:00pm
Sun 7:00am to 1:00pm
• Castlebay Co-op is OPEN
Monday to Saturday 7:00am to 10:00pm
Sunday 12:30pm to 10:00pm
• Castlebay Post Office is OPEN
Monday to Friday 9:00am to 10:30am
• Garadh a Bagh a Tuath Community Garden is CLOSED to
visitors. Produce can be purchased through Bùth Bharraigh.
Garadh re-opens in 2021.
• Padula's Island Stores is OPEN
Monday to Saturday 10:00am to 6:00pm
Sunday 12:00noon to 5:00pm
• Royal Bank of Scotland is OPEN
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
10:00am to 12:30pm and 1:00pm to 4:00pm
• Thrift Shop is CLOSED
• Top Shop is OPEN
Monday to Saturday 10:00 to 1:00pm, 2:00pm to 4:00pm
(Thursday pm ask at A&C MacLean's)
• Castlebay Marina Castlebay Marina is CLOSED, re-opens 2021.
• Garrygall Recycling Centre is CLOSED
Tues 10:00am - 3:00pm, Wed 1:00pm - 6:00pm,
Fri 10:00am - 3:00pm, Sat 10:00am - 3:00pm
• Ardmhor Ferry Waiting Room Toilets are OPEN
• Castlebay Hall Toilets are CLOSED
• Castlebay Pier Toilets are OPEN
• Vatersay Community Hall Toilets are OPEN