A guide to local businesses
Updated: 16 October 2021
Here is a summary of the current opening times of local places of interest and businesses.
Visitor Information & Community Shop
Bùth Bharraigh is OPEN: 1 October to 31 March
Mon, Wed, Fri: 10:00am-6:00pm
Tues, Thur, Sat: 10:00am-4:00pm
Operated by Aurora Trans Company
Taxis and Car Hire
• Asty’s Barra Cabs is OPEN
• Barra Car Hire is OPEN
• Barra Island Tours is OPEN and available for Taxi Service
• Barra Taxi is OPEN and Island Tours available
T: 01871 810012 / 0797 407 1255
• Campbell's Taxi is OPEN Evenings from 6:00pm
• Dan’s Taxis is OPEN and Island Tours available
Ardmhor Coffee at the wee ferry
• Barra Bike Hire is CLOSED until 27th October.
• Barra Golf Club is OPEN to members and visitors
(Golf clubs are available for hire at Bùth Bharraigh for £5 per day)
• Barra Heritage Centre is CLOSED, reopens 2022.
Questions/requests can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
or contact Bùth Bharraigh
• Barra Island Tours is OPEN.
• Beauty Republic is OPEN.
Monday - Saturday 9:30am - Late by appointment only.
• Castlebay Library is OPEN
Tuesday 4-6pm, Thursday 6-8pm, Saturday 10am-1pm
• Clearwater Paddling is CLOSED for the season, reopens 2022.
• Hebridean Revival Retreats. Check FB for dates
• Hebridean Sea Tours is CLOSED for the season, reopens 2022.
• Isle of Barra Distillers is OPEN: Monday - Saturday 10am - 5pm
• Isle of Barra Surf and Coastal Adventure is CLOSED, reopens 2022.
• Kisimul Castle is CLOSED.
• Mingulay Boat Trips is CLOSED, reopens 2022.
• Swimming Pool & Gym are OPEN.
Sessions can be booked on CnES sports and leisure app.
Barra Bike Hire
Bars, Restaurants and Cafes
• Ardmhor Café is OPEN
Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday 8:00am - 4:00pm
• Barra Airport Café is CLOSED PERMANENTLY
• Café Kisimul is OPEN. Mon - Sat 4:00-9:30pm, sit in and take away.
2 sittings for meals: 6pm and 8pm
CLOSED 15th to 18th October
• Castlebay Hotel is OPEN for residents only.
• Castlebay Bar is OPEN, 3:00pm to 11:00pm (last orders 10:30pm)
• Craigard Hotel is OPEN for evening meals 5:30pm to 9:30pm
• Craigard Bar OPEN
Monday - Thursday 12Noon to 11:00pm (last orders 10:45 pm)
Friday & Saturday 12Noon to 1:00am (Last orders 12:45am)
Sunday 12Noon to 12:30am (Last orders 12:15am)
• Craigard Hotel Restaurant OPEN. Lunches Weekends only
NO MEALS 16TH &17TH OCTOBER
• Garadh a Bagh a Tuath Cafe is OPEN
Tuesday - Thursday, 9:30am - 3:00pm.
Last orders for lunch is 2:00pm
• Heathbank Hotel is CLOSED, reopens end of October.
Meals only available for residents.
• Heathbank Hotel Bar is CLOSED, reopens end of October.
Monday - Friday 4:00pm to 11:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: 2:00pm to 11:00pm
• Hebridean Toffee and The Deck are OPEN.
Sunday - Wednesday CLOSED
Thursday 10:00am to 3:00pm
Friday & Saturday 10:00am - 7:00pm
• Isle of Barra Beach Hotel is CLOSED. Reopens April 2022
• Joan’s Barra Pizza is OPEN, Friday & Saturday 5:00-8:00pm
CLOSED 15th & 16th OCTOBER
• Macroon’s Tea Room is OPEN,
Monday - Friday 9:00am to 4:00pm
• Mairi’s Chippy is OPEN:
Wednesday, Friday and Saturday 5:00-7:30pm
• Padula's Island Takeaway is OPEN
Monday to Thursday 9:30am to 4:45pm
Friday & Saturday 9:30am to 6:00pm
Sunday 11:00am to 5:30pm
• Vatersay Hall Café is CLOSED FOR THE SEASON. Reopens April 2022
Freshly made pizza from Joan's Barra Pizza
Freshly made curry from Cafe Kisimul
Caravan and Campsites
(Community would prefer campsites are used rather than wild camping. Please book (except Vatersay)
• Barra Sands Campsite is CLOSED for the season, reopens 2022.
• Borve Campsite is OPEN for campervans and tents
• Croft No 2 Campsite is OPEN
Camping and Caravanning Club members only
(can join on site, ID needed)
• Croft 183 Barra Holidays is OPEN.
• MacNeil, Bogach OPEN (two pitches with water and electric)
• Scurrival Campsite is OPEN, showers and toilet facilities available.
• Vatersay Community Campsite is CLOSED for the season, reopens
2022. Toilets CLOSED, Showers CLOSED.
• Wavecrest Campsite is OPEN.
Shops and Services
• A & C MacLean’s (Butcher’s) is OPEN
Monday to Saturday 8:00am to 5:30pm
Sunday 11:00am to 13:00pm
• Barratlantic Fish Shop is OPEN
Monday to Friday 9:00am to 4:30pm
• Beauty Republic is OPEN appointments only
• Caledonian MacBrayne Castlebay Office is OPEN at ferry times
Mon-Fri 6:00am to 5:00pm
Sat 7:00am to 3:00pm
Sun 6:00am to 12:00noon
• Castlebay Co-op is OPEN
Monday to Saturday 7:00am to 10:00pm
Sunday 12:30pm to 10:00pm
• Castlebay Post Office is OPEN
Monday to Friday 9:00am-4:30pm
• Garadh a Bagh a Tuath Community Garden is OPEN
Monday-Friday 9:00am - 3:00pm.
Produce can also be purchased through Bùth Bharraigh.
• Padula's Island Stores is OPEN
Monday to Friday 9:00am to 5:30pm
Saturday 9:00am to 6:00pm
Sunday 10:30am to 6:00pm
• Royal Bank of Scotland is OPEN
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
10:00am to 12:30pm and 1:00pm to 4:00pm
• Thrift Shop is CLOSED 9th October
Saturdays 1:00pm to 4:00pm.
Donations cannot be taken during open hours. Please arrange
donations with Liz Tinney.
• Top Shop is OPEN
Monday to Saturday 10:00 to 1:00pm, 2:00pm to 4:00pm
(Thursday pm ask at A&C MacLean's)
• Castlebay Marina Castlebay Marina is now CLOSED. Re-opens 2022
• Garrygall Recycling Centre is OPEN
Tues 10:00am - 3:00pm, Wed 1:00pm - 6:00pm,
Fri 10:00am - 3:00pm, Sat 10:00am - 3:00pm
• Ardmhor Ferry Waiting Room Toilets are OPEN
• Barra Airport Toilets CLOSED, passengers only
• Castlebay Hall Toilets are CLOSED
• Castlebay Pier Toilets are OPEN
• Garadh Changing Places Toilet is OPEN (Northbay Community Garden)
• Vatersay Community Hall Toilets are CLOSED