A guide to local businesses
Updated: 9 April 2021
Here is a summary of the current opening times of local places of interest and businesses.
Visitor Information & Community Shop
Buth Bharraigh is OPEN: Mon - Fri: 10:00am - 4:00pm,
Sat: 10:00am - 1:00pm,
Operated by Aurora Trans Company
Taxis and Car Hire
• Asty’s Barra Cabs is OPEN
• Barra Car Hire is OPEN
• Barra Taxi is OPEN and Island Tours available
• Brevig Taxi is CLOSED
• Campbell's Taxi is OPEN Evenings from 6:00pm
• Dan’s Taxis is OPEN and Island Tours available
Ardmhor Coffee at the wee ferry
• Barra Bike Hire is OPEN
• Barra Golf Club is OPEN to members and visitors
(Golf clubs are available for hire at Bùth Bharraigh for £5 per day)
• Barra Heritage Centre is CLOSED, reopens 2021.
Questions/requests can be emailed to
or contact Bùth Bharraigh
• Barra Island Tours is CLOSED, reopens in 2021 when safe
• Castlebay Library is OPEN for Connect and Collect
Tuesday 4-6pm, Thursday 6-8pm, Saturday 10am-1pm
• Clearwater Paddling is CLOSED, reopens 2021.
• Hebridean Sea Tours is CLOSED, reopens 15 May 2021.
• Isle of Barra Distillers is OPEN: Wednesday - Saturday 11am-3pm
• Isle of Barra Surf and Coastal Adventure is CLOSED, reopens
• Kisimul Castle is CLOSED.
• Mingulay Boat Trips is CLOSED, re-opens 26th March 2021
• Swimming Pool OPEN and Gym is CLOSED.
Sessions can be booked on CnES sports and leisure app.
Barra Bike Hire
Bars, Restaurants and Cafes
• Ardmhor Café is CLOSED
• Barra Airport Café is OPEN 10:00am - 3:30pm daily
• Café Kisimul is CLOSED, reopens 26 March 2021.
• Castlebay Hotel is CLOSED, reopens 2021
• Castlebay Bar is CLOSED
• Craigard Hotel is OPEN for key workers.
• Craigard Bar CLOSED
• Craigard Hotel Restaurant CLOSED
• Garadh a Bagh a Tuath Thursday Cafe is CLOSED, reopens 2021.
• Heathbank Hotel is CLOSED
• Heathbank Hotel Bar is CLOSED
• Hebridean Toffee and The Deck is OPEN;
Friday & Saturday 9am-7pm and the last Sunday of every month
• Isle of Barra Beach Hotel is CLOSED, re-opens 2021.
• Joan’s Barra Pizza is OPEN, Friday & Saturday 5:00-8:00pm
• Macroon’s Tea Room is OPEN, Monday - Friday
Monday - Friday 9:00am to 4:00pm
• Mairi’s Chippy is OPEN: Friday & Saturdays 5:00-7:30pm
• Vatersay Hall Café is CLOSED, reopens 2021.
Freshly made pizza from Joan's Barra Pizza
Caravan and Campsites
(Community would prefer campsites are used rather than wild camping. Please book (except Vatersay)
• Barra Sands Campsite CLOSED, Opens when islands open up
• Borve Campsite is OPEN for campervans and tents
• Croft No 2 Campsite is CLOSED, Opens when islands open up
Camping and Caravanning Club members only
(can join on site, ID needed)
• Croft 183 Barra Holidays is CLOSED, Opens when islands open up
• Scurrival Campsite is CLOSED, Opens when islands open up
• Vatersay Community Campsite is OPEN:
please leave donation in honesty box.
Toilets OPEN, Showers CLOSED.
• Wavecrest Campsite is CLOSED, Opens when islands open up.
Shops and Services
• A & C MacLean’s (Butcher’s) is OPEN
Monday to Saturday 9:30am to 12:30pm, 2.30pm to 5:00pm
• Barratlantic Fish Shop is OPEN
Monday to Friday 9:00am to 4:30pm
• Beauty Republic is OPEN, appointments only
• Caledonian MacBrayne Castlebay Office is OPEN at ferry times
Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri 7:00am to 5:00pm
Thurs 9:00am to 4:00pm
Sat 9:00am to 3:00pm
Sun 7:00am to 1:00pm
• Castlebay Co-op is OPEN
Monday to Saturday 7:00am to 10:00pm
Sunday 12:30pm to 10:00pm
• Castlebay Post Office is OPEN
Monday to Friday 9:00am-4:30pm
• Garadh a Bagh a Tuath Community Garden is OPEN
Monday-Friday 10:00am - 3:00pm.
Produce can also be purchased through Bùth Bharraigh.
• Padula's Island Stores is OPEN
Monday to Saturday 10:00am to 6:00pm
Sunday 12:00noon to 5:00pm
• Royal Bank of Scotland is OPEN
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
10:00am to 12:30pm and 1:00pm to 4:00pm
• Thrift Shop is CLOSED
• Top Shop is OPEN
Monday to Saturday 10:00 to 1:00pm, 2:00pm to 4:00pm
(Thursday pm ask at A&C MacLean's)
• Castlebay Marina Castlebay Marina is CLOSED, re-opens 2021.
• Garrygall Recycling Centre is OPEN
Tues 10:00am - 3:00pm, Wed 1:00pm - 6:00pm,
Fri 10:00am - 3:00pm, Sat 10:00am - 3:00pm
• Ardmhor Ferry Waiting Room Toilets are OPEN
• Castlebay Hall Toilets are CLOSED
• Castlebay Pier Toilets are OPEN
• Vatersay Community Hall Toilets are OPEN