A Guide to Local Businesses
Updated: 1st November 2023
Here is a summary of the current opening times of local places of interest and businesses.
Visitor Information & Community Shop
Bùth Bharraigh is OPEN: 1st October - 31st March
Mon - Fri: 10:00am-5:00pm
Operated by Aurora Trans Company
Dogs are not allowed on the bus (except Guide Dogs)
Taxis and Car Hire
• Asty’s Barra Cabs is OPEN
• Cursty Peigi Car Hire is OPEN
• Campbell's Taxi is OPEN
Ardmhor Coffee at the wee ferry
• Barra Bike Hire is OPEN
Please book bikes at least a day ahead of when they are required to
allow for preparation time. Either book directly with Barra Bike Hire
or Bùth Bharraigh. 01871 817948
• Barra Clay Pigeon Club is OPEN
Shoots most Sundays or prior arrangement contact via social media.
For people from 10 years old and upwards.
• Barra Golf Club is OPEN to members and visitors
(Golf clubs are available for hire at Bùth Bharraigh for £5 per day)
• Barra Heritage Centre is CLOSED
Group booking may be arranged during the closure if there is
advanced warning and if they can be accommodated.
Questions/requests can be emailed to email@example.com
or contact Bùth Bharraigh
• Barra Island Tours OPEN
• Beauty Republic is OPEN.
Monday - Saturday 9:30am - Late, by appointment only.
• 75min Boat Tours are CLOSED
Contact Bùth Bharraigh for more information
• Castlebay Boat Trips CLOSED until next season.
• Castlebay Library is OPEN
Tues / Wed / Thurs 10am - 1pm, 4pm - 6pm, Sat 10am - 1pm
• Clearwater Paddling is CLOSED for the Season
• Climb Barra is CLOSED
• Hebridean Sea Tours is CLOSED until next season.
• Isle of Barra Distillers is OPEN
Monday - Friday 11:00am - 3:00pm
• Kisimul Castle is CLOSED for 2023 - Exhibition in Castlebay Hall
Wednesday - Saturday 10am - 4pm
Boat trips around the Castle are available to book online.
• Mingulay Boat Trips is CLOSED
• Paddleboarding at Croft 2 Campsite CLOSED. Kayaks and paddleboards available for hire.
• Swimming Pool & Gym are OPEN.
Sessions can be booked on CnES sports and leisure app.
Barra Bike Hire
Bars, Restaurants and Cafes
• Ardmhor Café is OPEN
Sunday - Tuesday 8am - 4.00pm
• Ardmhor Food Truck is CLOSED
• Barra Airport Café is CLOSED PERMANENTLY
• Café Kisimul is CLOSED
• Castlebay Hotel is OPEN
Lunch served from 12pm - 2pm
For dinner seating at 6:00pm or 6:30pm but must be booked.
• Castlebay Bar is OPEN
Monday - Thursday 4pm - 11pm
Friday 4pm - 1am
Saturday - Sunday 2pm - 1am
• Craigard Hotel is OPEN for evening meals
Monday - Sunday 5:30pm - 7:30pm
• Craigard Bar OPEN
Monday- Thurs - 3:00pm to 10:00pm
Friday - Sunday 12:30pm - late
• Croft Kitchen OPEN
Honesty box in Eoligarry selling home baking and eggs
• Garadh a Bhagh a Tuath Cafe is OPEN
Tuesday - Thursday 9:30am to 3:00pm
Last orders for hot food at 2:30pm
Friday 9:30am to 2:00pm
• Greim at Grinn is OPEN
Tuesday - Friday - 11:00am - 2:00pm
Friday & Saturday - 5:00pm - 7:30pm
• Heathbank Hotel Restaurant is OPEN
Wednesday to Saturday - 5:00pm - 7:30pm
Friday & Saturday 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday 3:00pm - 10:00pm
• Heathbank Hotel Bar is OPEN
Thursday - 4:00pm - 10:pm
Friday- Saturday 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday 3:00pm - 10:00pm
• Joan’s Barra Pizza is OPEN (closed 13th/14th & 20th/21st Oct)
Friday & Saturday 5:00 - 8:00pm
• Post Office Tea Room is OPEN
Monday - Friday 10:00am - 3:00pm
• Mairi’s Chippy is OPEN
Friday and Saturdays 4:30 - 7:30pm
• Padula's Island Takeaway is OPEN
Monday to Thursday 9:00am to 6:00pm
Friday 9:00am to 7:30pm
Saturday 9:00am to 7:00pm
Monday 11:00am- 4:00pm
Monday to Saturday11:00am - 4:00pm
Sunday 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Freshly made pizza from Joan's Barra Pizza
Freshly made curry from Cafe Kisimul
Caravan and Campsites
(Community would prefer campsites are used rather than wild camping. Please book (except Vatersay)
• Barra Sands Campsite is OPEN
• Borve Campsite is OPEN for campervans and tents
• Croft No 2 Campsite is OPEN
Camping and Caravanning Club members only
(can join on site, ID needed)
• Croft 183 Barra Holidays is OPEN.
• MacNeil, Bogach OPEN (two pitches with water and electric)
• Scurrival Campsite is OPEN
• Vatersay Community Campsite is OPEN.
Toilets OPEN Showers OPEN
• Wavecrest Campsite is OPEN
Shops and Services
• A & C MacLean’s (Butcher’s) is OPEN
Monday to Saturday 8:00am to 5:30pm
Sunday 11:00am to 13:00pm
• Barratlantic Fish Shop is OPEN
Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm
Saturday 8:30am to 12:00pm
• Beauty Republic is OPEN appointments only
• Caledonian MacBrayne Castlebay Office is OPEN.
New phone number 01871 200 304
Mon-Fri 6:00am to 5:00pm
Sat 7:00am to 3:00pm
Sun 6:00am to 12:00noon
• Castlebay Co-op is OPEN
Monday to Saturday 7:00am to 10:00pm
Sunday 12:30pm to 10:00pm
• Castlebay Post Office is OPEN
Monday to Friday 9:00am-4:30pm
• Garadh a Bhagh a Tuath Community Garden is OPEN
Monday-Friday 9:00am - 1:00pm
Produce can also be purchased through Bùth Bharraigh.
• Padula's Island Stores is OPEN
Monday to Saturday 9:00am to 6:00pm
Sunday 12:00noon to 5:00pm
• Royal Bank of Scotland is OPEN
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
10:00am to 12:30pm and 1:00pm to 4:00pm
• Thrift Shop is OPEN
Saturdays 1:00pm to 3:00pm.
Donations can be taken in during open hours.
• Top Shop is OPEN
Monday to Saturday 10:00 to 1:00pm, 2:00pm to 4:00pm
(Thursday pm ask at A&C MacLean's)
• Castlebay Marina is CLOSED for the season.
• Garrygall Recycling Centre is OPEN
Tue 9:00am - 4:00pm
Thur 9:00am - 4:00pm
Sun 9:00am - 4:00pm
• Ardmhor Ferry Waiting Room Toilets are OPEN
• Barra Airport Toilets CLOSED, passengers only
• Castlebay Co-op Toilet is OPEN during shop opening hours.
• Castlebay Hall Toilets are OPEN everyday between 9am and 6pm
• Castlebay Pier Toilets are OPEN
• Garadh Changing Places Toilet is OPEN (Northbay Community Garden)
• Vatersay Community Hall Toilets are OPEN