A guide to local businesses
Updated: 13 May 2021
Here is a summary of the current opening times of local places of interest and businesses.
Visitor Information & Community Shop
Buth Bharraigh is OPEN: 26th April to 17 May
Mon, Wed, Thu, Fri: 10am-7:30pm
Sat 10am-4pm, 8:45-9:30pm
Sun 12noon-4pm, 5:45-6:30pm
If the ferry is cancelled or delayed the Buth will close at 6pm and reopen when the ferry arrives.
Operated by Aurora Trans Company
Taxis and Car Hire
• Asty’s Barra Cabs is OPEN
• Barra Car Hire is OPEN
• Barra Island Tours is OPEN and available for Taxi Service
• Barra Taxi is OPEN and Island Tours available
T: 01871 810012 / 0797 407 1255
• Brevig Taxi is CLOSED
• Campbell's Taxi is OPEN Evenings from 6:00pm
• Dan’s Taxis is OPEN and Island Tours available
Ardmhor Coffee at the wee ferry
• Barra Bike Hire is OPEN
• Barra Golf Club is OPEN to members and visitors
(Golf clubs are available for hire at Bùth Bharraigh for £5 per day)
• Barra Heritage Centre is CLOSED, reopens 2022.
Questions/requests can be emailed to
or contact Bùth Bharraigh
• Barra Island Tours is OPEN.
• Beauty Republic is OPEN.
Monday - Saturday 9:30am - Late by appointment only.
• Castlebay Library is OPEN for Connect and Collect
Tuesday 4-6pm, Thursday 6-8pm, Saturday 10am-1pm
• Clearwater Paddling is OPEN.
• Hebridean Revival Retreats. Check FB for dates
• Hebridean Sea Tours is CLOSED, reopens 28 May 2021.
• Isle of Barra Distillers is OPEN: Monday - Saturday 10am - 5pm
• Isle of Barra Surf and Coastal Adventure is OPEN except snorkelling.
• Kisimul Castle is CLOSED.
• Mingulay Boat Trips is OPEN.
• Swimming Pool & Gym are OPEN.
Sessions can be booked on CnES sports and leisure app.
Barra Bike Hire
Bars, Restaurants and Cafes
• Ardmhor Café is CLOSED, re-opens 18th May
Tuesday - Friday, Sunday 9:00am - 4:00pm
• Barra Airport Café is CLOSED PERMANENTLY
• Café Kisimul is OPEN. Mon - Sat 4:00-8:00pm, sit in and take away.
• Castlebay Hotel is CLOSED, reopens on 17th May 2021
• Castlebay Bar is CLOSED, reopens on 17th May 2021
• Craigard Hotel is OPEN.
• Craigard Bar OPEN 12Noon-9:00pm Alcohol outside only
• Craigard Hotel Restaurant OPEN.
• Garadh a Bagh a Tuath Cafe is OPENING SOON Wed-Fri.
• Heathbank Hotel is OPEN.
• Heathbank Hotel Bar is OPEN.
outside alcoholic drinks, inside non-alcohol drinks
• Hebridean Toffee and The Deck are OPEN:
Monday - Thursday 9am - 4pm
Friday - Saturday 9am - 7pm, Sunday 12pm - 4pm
• Isle of Barra Beach Hotel is OPEN.
• Joan’s Barra Pizza is OPEN, Friday & Saturday 5:00-8:00pm
• Macroon’s Tea Room is OPEN, Monday - Friday
Monday - Friday 9:00am to 4:00pm
• Mairi’s Chippy is OPEN: Friday & Saturdays 5:00-7:30pm
• Vatersay Hall Café is OPEN.
Monday-Saturday 11:00am - 4:00pm
Sunday 12noon - 3:00pm
Freshly made pizza from Joan's Barra Pizza
Freshly made curry from Cafe Kisimul
Caravan and Campsites
(Community would prefer campsites are used rather than wild camping. Please book (except Vatersay)
• Barra Sands Campsite CLOSED, Opens end of May.
• Borve Campsite is OPEN for campervans and tents
• Croft No 2 Campsite is CLOSED, Opens when islands open up
Camping and Caravanning Club members only
(can join on site, ID needed)
• Croft 183 Barra Holidays is CLOSED, Opens when islands open up
• MacNeil, Bogach OPEN (two pitches with water and electric)
• Scurrival Campsite is OPEN, showers and toilet facilities available.
• Vatersay Community Campsite is OPEN:
please leave donation in honesty box.
Toilets OPEN, Showers OPEN 24 Hours.
• Wavecrest Campsite is OPEN.
Shops and Services
• A & C MacLean’s (Butcher’s) is OPEN
Monday to Saturday 8:00am to 5:30pm
Sunday 11:00am to 13:00pm
• Barratlantic Fish Shop is OPEN
Monday to Friday 9:00am to 4:30pm
• Beauty Republic is OPEN, appointments only
• Caledonian MacBrayne Castlebay Office is OPEN at ferry times
Mon, Tue, Sun 6:00am to 1:00pm
Wed, Fri 7:00am to 1:00pm
Thurs, Sat 8:00am to 1:00pm
• Castlebay Co-op is OPEN
Monday to Saturday 7:00am to 10:00pm
Sunday 12:30pm to 10:00pm
• Castlebay Post Office is OPEN
Monday to Friday 9:00am-4:30pm
• Garadh a Bagh a Tuath Community Garden is OPEN
Monday-Friday 9:00am - 4:00pm.
Saturday 10:00am - 1:00pm
Produce can also be purchased through Bùth Bharraigh.
• Padula's Island Stores is OPEN
Monday to Saturday 10:00am to 6:00pm
Sunday 12:00noon to 5:00pm
• Royal Bank of Scotland is OPEN
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
10:00am to 12:30pm and 1:00pm to 4:00pm
• Thrift Shop is CLOSED
• Top Shop is OPEN
Monday to Saturday 10:00 to 1:00pm, 2:00pm to 4:00pm
(Thursday pm ask at A&C MacLean's)
• Castlebay Marina Castlebay Marina is OPEN.
• Garrygall Recycling Centre is OPEN
Tues 10:00am - 3:00pm, Wed 1:00pm - 6:00pm,
Fri 10:00am - 3:00pm, Sat 10:00am - 3:00pm
• Ardmhor Ferry Waiting Room Toilets are OPEN
• Castlebay Hall Toilets are CLOSED
• Castlebay Pier Toilets are OPEN
• Vatersay Community Hall Toilets are OPEN