A guide to local businesses
Updated: 19 July 2021
Here is a summary of the current opening times of local places of interest and businesses.
Visitor Information & Community Shop
Bùth Bharraigh is OPEN: 2 June to 30 September
Mon - Fri: 10:00am-6:30pm
Sat 10:00am-4:30pm, 6:00pm-7:00pm
Sun 12:00noon-4:00pm, 5:30pm-6:30pm
If the ferry is cancelled or delayed the Buth will close at 6:30pm and reopen when the ferry arrives.
Operated by Aurora Trans Company
Taxis and Car Hire
• Asty’s Barra Cabs is OPEN
• Barra Car Hire is OPEN
• Barra Island Tours is OPEN and available for Taxi Service
• Barra Taxi is OPEN and Island Tours available
T: 01871 810012 / 0797 407 1255
• Brevig Taxi is CLOSED
• Campbell's Taxi is OPEN Evenings from 6:00pm
• Dan’s Taxis is OPEN and Island Tours available
Ardmhor Coffee at the wee ferry
• Barra Bike Hire is OPEN
• Barra Golf Club is OPEN to members and visitors
(Golf clubs are available for hire at Bùth Bharraigh for £5 per day)
• Barra Heritage Centre is CLOSED, reopens 2022.
Questions/requests can be emailed to
or contact Bùth Bharraigh
• Barra Island Tours is OPEN.
• Beauty Republic is OPEN.
Monday - Saturday 9:30am - Late by appointment only.
Closed from 15th July, re-open on 22nd July
• Castlebay Library is OPEN for Connect and Collect
Tuesday 4-6pm, Thursday 6-8pm, Saturday 10am-1pm
• Clearwater Paddling is OPEN.
• Hebridean Revival Retreats. Check FB for dates
• Hebridean Sea Tours is OPEN.
• Isle of Barra Distillers is OPEN: Monday - Saturday 10am - 5pm
• Isle of Barra Surf and Coastal Adventure is OPEN except snorkelling.
• Kisimul Castle is CLOSED.
• Mingulay Boat Trips is OPEN.
• Swimming Pool & Gym are OPEN.
Sessions can be booked on CnES sports and leisure app.
Barra Bike Hire
Bars, Restaurants and Cafes
• Ardmhor Café is OPEN
Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday - Sunday 8:00am - 4:00pm
CLOSED FRIDAY 23rd and REOPENING TUESDAY 27 JULY.
• Barra Airport Café is CLOSED PERMANENTLY
• Café Kisimul is OPEN. Mon - Sat 4:00-9:30pm, sit in and take away.
2 sittings for meals: 6pm and 8pm
• Castlebay Hotel is OPEN
• Castlebay Bar is OPEN, 3:00pm to 11:00pm (last orders 10:30pm)
• Craigard Hotel is OPEN.
• Craigard Bar OPEN from 12Noon
• Craigard Hotel Restaurant OPEN. Lunches Weekends only
• Garadh a Bagh a Tuath Cafe is OPEN Wed-Fri, 9:30am - 3:30pm.
• Heathbank Hotel is OPEN.
Take-away dinners are available
Wednesday - Sunday, 5:00pm - 8:00pm
• Heathbank Hotel Bar is OPEN.
• Hebridean Toffee and The Deck are OPEN:
Monday - Thursday 10am - 4pm
Friday - Saturday 9am - 7pm, Sunday 12pm - 4pm
• Isle of Barra Beach Hotel is OPEN.
• Joan’s Barra Pizza is OPEN, Friday & Saturday 5:00-8:00pm
• Macroon’s Tea Room is OPEN,
Monday - Friday 9:00am to 4:00pm
• Mairi’s Chippy is OPEN: Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 5:00-7:30pm
• Vatersay Hall Café is OPEN. CASH ONLY
Monday-Saturday 11:00am - 4:00pm
Sunday 12noon - 3:00pm
Freshly made pizza from Joan's Barra Pizza
Freshly made curry from Cafe Kisimul
Caravan and Campsites
(Community would prefer campsites are used rather than wild camping. Please book (except Vatersay)
• Barra Sands Campsite OPEN.
• Borve Campsite is OPEN for campervans and tents
• Croft No 2 Campsite is OPEN
Camping and Caravanning Club members only
(can join on site, ID needed)
• Croft 183 Barra Holidays is OPEN.
• MacNeil, Bogach OPEN (two pitches with water and electric)
• Scurrival Campsite is OPEN, showers and toilet facilities available.
• Vatersay Community Campsite is OPEN:
please leave donation in honesty box.
Toilets OPEN, Showers OPEN 24 Hours.
• Wavecrest Campsite is OPEN.
Shops and Services
• A & C MacLean’s (Butcher’s) is OPEN
Monday to Saturday 8:00am to 5:30pm
Sunday 11:00am to 13:00pm
• Barratlantic Fish Shop is OPEN
Monday to Friday 9:00am to 4:30pm
• Beauty Republic is OPEN, appointments only
• Caledonian MacBrayne Castlebay Office is OPEN at ferry times
Mon-Fri 6:00am to 5:00pm
Sat 7:00am to 3:00pm
Sun 6:00am to 12:00noon
• Castlebay Co-op is OPEN
Monday to Saturday 7:00am to 10:00pm
Sunday 12:30pm to 10:00pm
• Castlebay Post Office is OPEN
Monday to Friday 9:00am-4:30pm
Thursday 24th June only open from 9am - 10am
• Garadh a Bagh a Tuath Community Garden is OPEN
Monday-Friday 9:00am - 4:00pm.
Produce can also be purchased through Bùth Bharraigh.
• Padula's Island Stores is OPEN
Monday to Saturday 10:00am to 6:00pm
Sunday 12:00noon to 5:00pm
• Royal Bank of Scotland is OPEN
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
10:00am to 12:30pm and 1:00pm to 4:00pm
• Thrift Shop is OPEN
Tuesdays 1:00pm to 4:00pm
Saturdays 1:00pm to 4:00pm.
Donations cannot be taken during open hours. Please arrange
donations with Liz Tinney.
• Top Shop is OPEN
Monday to Saturday 10:00 to 1:00pm, 2:00pm to 4:00pm
(Thursday pm ask at A&C MacLean's)
• Castlebay Marina Castlebay Marina is OPEN.
• Garrygall Recycling Centre is OPEN
Tues 10:00am - 3:00pm, Wed 1:00pm - 6:00pm,
Fri 10:00am - 3:00pm, Sat 10:00am - 3:00pm
• Ardmhor Ferry Waiting Room Toilets are OPEN
• Barra Airport Toilets CLOSED, passengers only
• Castlebay Hall Toilets are CLOSED
• Castlebay Pier Toilets are OPEN
• Garadh Changing Places Toilet is OPEN (Northbay Community Garden)
• Vatersay Community Hall Toilets are OPEN